Day 3: Cheap Toys, Items & Yummy Food

Sunday 18th December 2016


Our day begins with us visiting my grandma at her apartment as we journey off into the mountain to a place called Santo Da Serra or, which I like to call it, Cheap Toys, Items and Yummy Food. Why I called the place that, you may ask? Well, the title says it all: they do sell cheap toys and items! But they have some delicious food ranging from the all-time classical Portuguese bread (Bolo Do Caco) to the juicy spareribs and chicken that we had.


As we arrived there, lots of market stalls can be seen lined together from one end to another as they all sell various items ranging from clothes to cheap toys that are manufactured from brands that I never heard of. Before we had a look around the market, we went inside one of the bars where they made some delicious local food that’s been barbecued. We had some chicken, spareribs and Portuguese bread. It was so amazing that someone that was sitting on a table next to us was smelling the plate (not really as he was extremely hungover)!


Me, my mum and my grandma having a good time

My family enjoying the food

Delicious Bolo Do Caco and spareribs

"He was smashed!" - Dad

I remember one time where I came here a few years ago as there was a market stall who was selling DVDs and I took a peek inside on one of the DVD boxes, only to realise that the actual DVD disc wasn’t there. Instead, it was one of those types of CDs where you can record your data onto it, which raised the alarms for me and my dad. We couldn’t find that stall on this day, which it doesn’t really matter to us at all.


During our time there, we looked around the market stalls to see what they had on offer. Nothing caught our interest as not only the items looked cheap, but it wasn’t really necessary for us to buy stuff from there. Although, it was windy there and it managed to blow one of the poles with some items down. Whoops! Poor merchant!


Women gone shopping

My parents and my grandma together in the market

Going through the market with some plants we bought

We bought some items from the other side of the road as there was some more market stalls on that side selling some items ranging from fruits and vegetables, to plants and decorations, before we left the market.

A nice view of the countryside in Machico

Later on at night, as usual, I went out for a walk with my dad whilst we took some photos during our walk down to town to meet up with my grandma and my mum. We passed some iconic decorations and patterns that was made on the pavement as my dad told me that it was all made by hand as people placed small pieces of stone in, one piece each at a time. Various patterns can be seen throughout town, which is what really catches my attention as it’s so old, yet eye-catching to look at whilst you’re walking.
If there was several clones of me, I would be able to complete the first part of the Christmas tree!
Madeira at night
Walking down the hill in the streets
Nice patterns like this can be seen on the pavements
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's SubMan!
A big sphere of Christmas lights in the middle of the fountain
Me and my dad walking through the streets with some Christmas lights from behind
Bright lights on trees in streets
Astonishingly bright!
Various colours light up the streets
Blue lights hanging over one of the water channels that flows through Funchal
The blue lights fits together with the river channel
Beautifully colourful and bright!
As we met up with my mum and grandma, our snack was McDonald’s, which was delicious but we’re not here to taste the food from well-known fast food chains. After eating our snack, we went outside and took some more bright pictures of the Christmas decorations in Madeira, as well as taking some in Avenida Do Mar.


Us enjoying a snack at McDonald's

Showing my style off in Madeira
Now with the entire family!
Blocky steps and stairs
My mum strolling through the small pathway
I do like the pictures where I’m standing behind a market stall where they sold some conkers. It felt like I was selling some to people, which I didn’t do, but it was also so hot that it felt like my face was burning!


Would you like to buy 12 conkers for €1.50?
Freshly made just for you!
Steamily sensational!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday Night X Factor Thoughts

Inactivity and Such...